This page contains a list of notable landmarks located around Greene County.
Bible Covered Bridge
In 1783 the Christian Bible Family settled in this area on a land grant from North Carolina, constructing a two story log house nearby. In 1923, E. A. Bible, a direct descendant of this early settler, who had been crossing Little Chuckey Creek at a ford, had this bridge built so he would have better access to the Warrensburg Road. It was constructed by A. A. McLean, a noted Tennessee bridge builder of the day, who placed covers on bridges to preserve the timbers. In 1948 the bridge was deeded to Greene County and in 1975 it became an historical structure through the efforts of the Greene County Heritage Trust. Restoration of the bridge was completed in 2004 by the Greene County Highway Department with a grant from the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
Bridge-Burners Execution Marker and House
During a five-week period in late 1861, five pro-Union men from Pottertown community were hung by Confederate authorities. This was in retaliation for the destruction of the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad bridge over Lick Creek, approximately three miles southwest of this marker.
Henry Fry and Jacob M. Hinshaw were hung in Greeneville. Jacob and Henry Harmon, father and son, along with C. A. Haun, died on the gallows in Knoxville.
This house, which stood beside Pottertown Road, was torn down in the mid-1960s. It was the lifelong home of William Francis Marion “Uncle Billy” Harmon, who was only nine years old when his father Jacob, mentioned above, was hung as a “Bridge-Burner”.